30. SOCIAL DISTANCE:
- The perception that ANC leaders are becoming a political elite removed from the people and that our movement no longer reflects the concerns and issues of the motive forces
- Our goal is to be truly representative of the people and this needs constant contact, humility, discipline, hard work, ubuntu, empathy and respect for the people
- We must behave as servants of the people, not bosses or celebrities.
- We need to urgently close the gap between us and the people; strive to be a progressive presence in every community and sector that listens to the people, works with them, responds to their concerns and problems, respects all people, and builds organisations and campaigns of the people.
- We need to avoid VIP enclosures, holding rooms, bodyguards and fancy cars that separate us from the people when we are going to meet them.
- All leaders and public reps of the ANC must spend at least two days a week (at all times not just elections) on grassroots and branch work in the community. This should be done in consultation with the branch or sub-regional/zonal structures.