Disability and Accessibility
Society should be accessible to all
All people, regardless of functional variation or ability, should have equal rights and opportunities.
Accessibility and participation are human rights.
The environment party wants
- that the LSS Act is clarified so that people receive the support they are entitled to;
- that the community becomes accessible to persons with mental or physical impairment,
- counter the discrimination against people with disabilities in the labor market.
No person should have to end up in a situation where you do not know what life or everyday life will look like in the future. The Environmental Party has long been pushing for LSS legislation to be clarified so that people receive the support they need and are entitled to, which was the purpose of LSS from the beginning.
A more accessible Sweden
All individuals are different and society should not just be designed for those who are the norm. The environmental party, together with Sweden’s total disability movement, has been a driving force in that inaccessibility is now classified as discrimination in Sweden. And we continue to be a driving force in our efforts to make Sweden accessible in practice.
Better financial support
The environmental party wants to improve the situation for those with disabilities who have been struggling financially. Anyone who does not have the ability to work should still receive financial support that can be lived on.
Better availability in the labor market
Everyone deserves to participate fully in society, so jobs are an important part. We want to increase efforts so that more people with disabilities can get a job and that more people can work based on their own ability.
We also want to improve the conditions for social enterprises. It will be easier and faster to get the tools needed for the work. Employers should be able to be sure that they can receive good support if needed.
Equality right in the EU
The Environment Party is working to bring the anti-discrimination directive that was previously halted finally into place in the EU and to strengthen the accessibility directive. We also want:
- that an EU strategy for the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities should have an impact in the Union.
- states that refuse to follow common principles on human rights and protection of minorities should be able to quickly reduce or withdraw EU support.
The environmental party rules
In government, we have made several efforts in 2014-2018 for everyone’s right to participate fully in society:
- Added an inquiry with the task of reviewing the LSS legislation, to ensure more effective interventions.
- Amended the law to ensure that assistance is also provided for waiting time and preparedness, and temporarily suspended the two-year review of the assistance allowance.
- Increased the guarantee allowance and reduced the tax on sickness and activity compensation and increased the housing allowance.
- Added extra funds to the municipalities to enable them to increase the habilitation allowance and commissioned the LSS inquiry to review the issue of the habilitation allowance to make the form of the compensation more uniform in the municipalities.
- Tighten legislation on lack of accessibility as discrimination, even to companies with smaller numbers of employees.
- Improved pay support for people with disabilities, so that it becomes clearer to job intermediaries, employees and employers what support is available and how it can be used to strengthen people with disabilities and facilitate anchoring in the labor market.
- Added a study that looks at the need for more appropriate and flexible interventions (for example, flex jobs) for those who have reduced work capacity as a result of disability or illness.
In a new government, we are now working for equal opportunities for all. For example, breathing and probe feeding should clearly represent a basic need for personal assistance.