27. REGION, SUB-REGION/ZONE (Accountability and decision-making)
- That we have municipal government close to ANC branch structures, often controlled and directed only by regional secretaries or regional governance committees, and ANC caucuses
- That we should strengthen the accountability to local structures that have to account for and deal with the consequences of work we do in local government
- In metros the REC governance committee directs and coordinates work in government and organisation in the metro area. Outside metros, sub-regions coordinate work in municipal area
- Sub-regions and municipalities: Regional governance committee and secretary playing stronger role in monitoring and directing ANC in local government. Implement principle in constitution that Sub-regions should be developed to coordinate ANC work in a municipal area and its governance committee should serve as a space for accountability between the councillors and the ANC structures serving the same people. The REC should be represented with MP/L on the governance committee which should also include the troika. An extended governance meeting can be held regularly with all councillors and representatives from branches attending.
- Policy and monitoring coordinator in each province
- Election and campaign coordinator in every province